Can a chemical company make a real eco-difference?
You bet. Together with our employees, customers and partners we can and are stepping up our green chemistry practices for a more sustainable planet and producing record–breaking results.
Albemarle is a pleased to share with you our latest Sustainability Report, entitled “Step Up.” The new report provides a comprehensive look at our collective efforts to pursue a responsible business model that delivers shareholder value and improves the quality of life for our employees, customers and the communities we serve.
We have always been a company focused on performance excellence and looking at our record for 2009, we certainly have a lot to celebrate. In a year that posed many challenges, Albemarle and its employees made significant and impressive achievements in a broad range of sustainability efforts, including:
- Recorded the best safety performance in our history;
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions by 12% (135,000 metric tons);
- Reduced Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) emissions from processes by 32%;
- Expanded the scope and outreach of the Albemarle Foundation, delivering nearly $1.3 million to the communities in which the company operates;
- Launched new products with outstanding environmental profiles and announced our new Earthwise™ brand of eco-friendly and sustainable products; and,
- Introduced new manufacturing processes and technologies to minimize Albemarle’s environmental footprint, including an estimated 80% reduction in process-related waste associated with the manufacture of a catalyst at the company’s Pasadena plant.
We could not have delivered such impressive results without the integrity and hard work of all of our employees who represent Albemarle so well both on the job and off. We will continue to “step up” our efforts and challenge ourselves each day to deliver solutions that have tangible and positive impacts for society and the environment.
Learn More About Albemarle’s Sustainability Practices
To view the full “Step Up” report, click here. To ask a question, share a comment or find out how Albemarle is building a more sustainable future for its employees, communities and the planet we share, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*CIA World Factbook: there are around 6.8 billion people living on the planet as of July 2009. That number will increase by about 212,035 every day
How’s your company doing? What are you most proud of?